Nelson Mandela Centenary Celebration
Mandela Day is celebrated on 18 July – the great man’s birthday – and offers South Africans the opportunity to live the legacy of Nelson Mandela.
This year’s Mandela Day activities are made special by the fact that we are commemorating Madiba’s 100th birthday – and they are made even more special by the fact that Breadline Africa celebrates the 25th anniversary of its founding. With this in mind, the organisation has launched a campaign to place 25 units in 100 days – starting on 18 July!
Here are our first five beneficiaries:
- Thandulwazi Edcuare in the community of Orange Farm in Gauteng will receive a 12-mentre converted shipping container, which has been donated by the Hospitality Property Fund. The new classroom will enable all of the children to be taught in one location, rather than the current situation, where some of the children were accommodated in the principal’s home and the balance at the centre.
- Tsogo Sun is sponsoring a prefab library for Munsieville Primary School, which is located in an informal settlement near Krugersdorp in Gauteng and is in dire need of amenities for the 1,050 children who are enrolled in the school.
- The 1,505 children at Langabuya Primary School in Mbekweni, Paarl are eagerly awaiting their library, which consists of two six-metre shipping containers that have been joined together. The Val de Vie Foundation and Breadline Africa’s individual donors have made this project possible.
- A prefab classroom is being provided to the 160 children of Umzomhle Educare in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. It is funded by the Film Industry Foundation and Breadline Africa’s individual donors.
- SHOUT for a Safer SA, CSX and Breadline Africa’s individual donors have given Fumisukoma Primary School in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape a 60m2 prefab library and the principal, teachers and children can’t wait to start reading!
Thanks to Breadline Africa’s efforts, and the generosity of its donors, almost 3,000 children in resource-poor communities enjoy the prospect of a brighter future on this very special Mandela Day.